UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
College of Natural Resources, Berkeley Forests
Blodgett Forest Research Station ‐ Georgetown, CA
Facility Maintenance and Heavy Equipment Operator
Fulltime, regular position
(http://jobs.berkeley.edu/) Job#10426 , keyword : Berkeley Forests
Berkeley Forests manages multiple forest research stations within California. Assignment will be at Blodgett Forest in Georgetown, CA with trips of varying lengths to other properties. Berkeley Forests facilitates and conducts forestry-related research in areas of forest ecology, fire ecology, ecosystem processes, silviculture, and forest management on forest properties. This position will provide broad support for achieving the mission of facilitating research, demonstration, and education through maintenance of facilities and infrastructure and operation of heavy equipment in support of research and forest management. Additional information about Blodgett Forest and the rest of Berkeley Forests' network of research forests can be found at https://forests.berkeley.edu/forests.
- Facilities maintenance experience.
- Experience operating heavy motorized equipment including loader/backhoe and excavator.
- Knowledge of safe working methods and procedures.
- Experience operating power tools.
- Ability to perform routine work independently and in a team
- Ability to prioritize assignments under pressure
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Vehicle and heavy equipment maintenance experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Class A license or ability to obtain within 2 years
- Experience with forestry operations such as mastication and site preparation
- Two years of experience in related fields
- Monitors condition of research station infrastructure including roads, culverts, water system, fences, cabins, workshops, meeting building, and storage sheds
- Prioritizes necessary repairs and improvements to infrastructure
- Completes repairs or facilitates and oversees repairs done by outside contractors when necessary
- Maintains, repairs, and modifies research field station roads and paths; shaping and grading, snow removal, culvert installation and repair, etc.
- Operates, maintains, and performs repairs of heavy motor vehicles including water tender, backhoe, dump truck and excavator
- Conducts forest cultural operations; site preparation, mastication, other heavy equipment use
- Setup and run fire suppression equipment during wildfires and prescribed fires
- Assist researchers with installation of projects that involve installation of field equipment
- Operates, maintains, and performs repairs of Berkeley Forests equipment including vehicles, chainsaws, pruners, brushcutters, and small pumps
- Maintains record of repairs
- Performs forest research measurements and other duties as assigned
- Maintains operational records of equipment and personnel time, services used, etc
SALARY & BENEFITS
FIRST REVIEW DATE: 9/14/2020
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster... For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.