UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
College of Natural Resources, Berkeley Forests
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES - 2021
Multiple openings (2-3): Student Forest Resource Assistants (open to UC Berkeley Students only at this time)
Berkeley Forests manages multiple forest research stations. Assignments may be at any one of these sites, but most will be at Blodgett Forest in El Dorado County, CA with trips of varying lengths to other properties. Forestry-related research in areas of forest ecology, fire ecology, ecosystem processes, silviculture, and forest management are conducted at Center properties. These positions provide broad support for achieving the mission of facilitating research, demonstration, and education. A wide variety of work experience conducting both research and management activities is provided under the supervision of multiple registered professional foresters. Information on these properties and their function is available at http://www.forests.berkeley.edu/forests/blodgett.
11 to 13 consecutive weeks, between May 24, 2021 and August 20, 2021. Start date is negotiable.
Work experience or coursework including field exercises covering the following:
- Vegetation measurement techniques, including use of tree measurement tools.
- Identification of common Sierra Nevada plants.
- Field orientation/surveying including use of a compass and maps.
- Enrolled in UC Berkeley program that includes curricula related to management of forest resources.
- Safe use and maintenance of chainsaws, brushcutters or pruners, and forestry hand tools.
- Operation of automatic four wheel drive vehicles and valid Calif. Driver’s license.
- Use of field data loggers and computers to collect research-grade precision data
These positions are fulltime, temporary. Applicants must be physically fit and capable of sustained physical work during summer forest weather conditions. >90% of work is outdoors.
ASSIST WITH THE FOLLOWING
- Resource monitoring program, including measurement of permanent vegetation and riparian plots.
- Various silviculture and ecology research studies with potential for student research opportunities.
- Stand improvement, including thinning and pruning.
- Surveying forest feature locations, including use of GPS devices and ARCgis software.
- Maintenance of roads, facilities, and equipment.
- Work with low impact logging techniques.
- Conducting fire and fuel treatments including pile burning, broadcast burning, and mechanical manipulation/removal of fuel.
SALARY: $17 / hour
CLOSING DATE: 01/24/2021, or until filled
TO APPLY: When applying, submit resume and cover letter plus names and contact information of two references. Apply through UC Berkeley Work-Study job listing (ref # 5788588623), handshake, or email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Currently open to UC Berkeley Students only.)
For questions, contact Ariel Roughton at email@example.com.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.